Oh, Man! This morning I woke up in one of the worst moods I've been in for a long while. Nothing happened to cause this mood; well, nothing catastrophic. Mostly it's just a series of small and seemingly insignificant things that my mind had gotten a hold of and consequently twisted way out of proportion. And that was what I woke up into this morning. My mind was racing, and although I was trying to not pay attention to what it was saying (it doesn't really know who I am anyways) it was seriously corrupting my morning.
So, as I was walking (and swearing in my head) from the train to my office I decided that I was going to turn this day around. I started to think about the things that today will bring that I can be happy about. Not about all the great things in my life, but just about today's great things. By the time I got to work I had a smile on my face again; maybe it wasn't the usual joyful smile that I normally wear, but it was a start.
Here are some of the things I am being happy about today:
- The clouds have parted and I can see the North Shore mountains for the first time in at least a week. It feels like my world just got a little bit bigger.
- I am getting (and giving) a pedicure tonight at school. Who doesn't love a pedicure?!
- I am getting a manicure from one of my classmates before class tonight. Practice makes perfect!
- I have ridiculously soft skin from the clay pack we did in class last night. If you have never had one, I highly recommend getting one, that is, if you like having seriously soft skin.
- Tomorrow's Thursday, which is turning out to be my favourite day of the week (it includes sleeping in on Friday mornings).
- After today I will only have 4 or 5 more days working at this job. WooHoo!!!
- Greek yogurt with honey and organic granola for breakfast, complete with a delicious Americano. Need I say more? Yummmm...
This is just the start of my list, because I know I will think of more things to be happy about as the day goes on. My mind has slowed down to a more reasonable pace, like a quick jog not a mad dash. My world is starting to come back into focus and I can see that those things that got warped into massive problems really aren't problems at all.
Now all I have to do is remember to Breathe.