Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First impressions

I've always had a bit of a knack of seeing or feeling what others are not openly expressing; the emotion hidden just beneath the surface, the emotion that they're trying so hard not to let out. I think a lot of people can do that, even if they don't know that's what they're sensing they know something is there.  I also think that most of us want to believe that no one can see or feel what we are going through.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some interviews and was seeing these women in front of me so raw and clearly dealing (or more accurately, not dealing) with some tough issues.  And I believe that a lot of the time the people who come into our lives do so as a mirror of some aspect of ourselves.  

I like to think I'm a pretty well composed woman. I can hold my own in most situations and it takes a lot to rattle me out of a good mood.  And yet all this had made me wonder, how transparent am I?  What do people sense from me when we first meet?

And then yesterday in class, the guest speaker said something intriguing, "your opinion of me is none of my business."

No comments:

Post a Comment