Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Lil' Bit of Back Story

Hi there! I feel like I should introduce myself to you, you know, so we're not all strangers in the kitchen anymore.

So let's start with the juicy gossip! I've been single for about a year, before that I was in a relationship for almost 8 years. The two saddest things I lost in my breakup are my best friend and my personal chef, and man was he good! So, at nearly 30 years old, I found myself single and learning how to cook for myself. This turned out not to be the disaster that I thought it would be. I learned that I can keep myself from starvation and malnutrition and that I can even make some pretty delicious food, too.

Recently, I started to see a naturopath. I've always had some pretty bad digestive problems and through the years I have cut certain things out of my diet after recognizing that they were the cause of my upset stomach. But I decided that 30 was a good age to get these food allergies sorted out and cleanse my body of all the crap I have eaten in the past. If you've been to a naturopath for a similar reason, you know that the first thing we did was start the Allergy Elimination Diet and removed all common allergens from my diet. Three weeks with no dairy, no wheat, no corn, no eggs, no soy products, no refined sugars, no alcohol, and no coffee. Wow, that was asking a lot as I was a student living pretty much off of coffee with cream and sugar, eggs with toast (my go to meal when I only have 20 minutes to both cook and eat) and a whole lotta booze. Out of this whole process I've become a lot healthier and a much more creative cook. I mean, when there's only so many things you can eat you have to find ways to shake it up or else die of culinary boredom, perhaps the saddest and most easily preventable way to go!

Cooking has always been a very social thing for me. Do you ever notice when you're at a house party, that everyone usually ends up congregating in the kitchen? I don't think it's a coincidence. Food is best when it's made for and shared with the people you love, and in our crazy busy lives that's not always possible. But that's no excuse to get lazy in the kitchen or apathetic about what goes into your body. Just because I don't have someone to cook with that doesn't mean I shouldn't get to eat amazing food! 

I hope you come back to check out the recipes and random gossip I plan on sharing with you. I can't promise that it will always turn out, but it will always be a great adventure!

Welcome to the kitchen party

No comments:

Post a Comment