Thursday, May 17, 2012

Drunken Insight #1 - To-Do Lists Are Meant to be Done

The other night I accidentally got drunk. I was at home, alone, and I realized I was drunk about the same time I realized the bottle of sake was empty. Oops!

I make to-do lists. I think and think (and think) about how to do the things on my lists. The thing on my list I was dealing with as I got accidentally drunk was rearranging my apartment. I had just gotten rid of some furniture and it really opened up my options for how I could arrange my remaining furniture. So I wanted to take advantage of this and switch stuff up a bit.

This is how it looked: I sat on my floor sipping sake and imagining how it would look if my bed was over there and my chaise was over here. I stood in my kitchen and thought about where I should put my dresser. I leaned against a wall and decided that I really didn't want to move my desk because it's a wall unit and that would just be a lot of work and holes to fill in. I did this for about 2 hours without really coming to any conclusions and without touching a single piece of furniture. It was then I realized that I just had to start moving shit.

I do this all the time. I try to reason out what the best decision is and then I do that. Bam. Seems logical and a good way to do things and I usually get really great results. We all want the best results for our time and effort and it makes sense to think it through, come to the best decision and then take action. 

The problem I keep running into lately is that I can't figure out what the "best" option is and so I am completely stopped. I can't seem to take any actions because I'm not sure if that's the right action to be taking. But the thing I got as I started to move furniture randomly around my studio apartment is: how do I ever really know what the "best" option is? How can any of us? Maybe the "best" option is just to take an action, any action, and see what happens.

So, I'm going to try this out. I'm starting to take actions. It's hard and I'm still trying to figure things out. But I'm thinking that sometimes the best experiences come out of the worst ideas. Like flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment